Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Does it matter?

A couple of weeks back, my cousin and I had a conversation about issues surrounding dating and marriage.My cousin's boy friend ain't Nigerian but he is from one of the countries in West Africa. They've been dating for quite sometime now and they talkin marriage already lol. But anywyaz, I remember when the whole dating thing started and her parents got to find out he wasn't Nigerian, twas a problem but she stood her ground and said if he is the ONE, then she is gonna go ahead and marry him. Which brings me to the question... would you marry/date outside your culture/race or whatever the case may be.
I was kinda surprised her parents would trip about somethin like that tho. It ain't even asif she's dating outside her race really...I mean yea he ain't Nigerian but he is African too and i'm very sure our cultures ain't that different from each other.

Some African parents are in the habit of forcing their kids to marry from the same ethnicity.

Personally, I don't mind dating or marrying outside my race, matter of fact I hate the whole mentality about forcing someone to date/marry from the same race and stuff. I find it to be very shallow. I like trying new things. I like learning about other people's culture. I like variety. I have dated outside my race and I have also dated my people..I think @ the end of the day it all boils down to love and whoever makes you happy.

My parents tell me (well my mom specifically) says they don't care what ethnicity I'm with as long as I'm happy. Although I have heard them say they prefer if whoever we (my siblings) decide to be with in the end is Nigerian.. lol

So what do y'll think? Would you ever date/ marry outside your race or ethnic background? Why or why not.

1 comment:

  1. *sighs* PARENTS!!!!!!!!! jeez..

    my dad is surprisingly the cool one, he doesnt mind, as long as we r happy....my momma on the other hand..hmmph! let's just say she's a tad bit old-fashioned..

    personally, i dont mind at all, as long as the couple is able to deal with the culture and language barriers..my bro is dating a SAn, they have clashes sometimes but they r still going very strong..

    ReplyDelete